• You’ve Got Questions, We’ve Got Answers!

July 13, 2012 | 15 Comments

What was the cause of the divine wrath in 2 Kings 3:27? Is the word Shekhinah related to a pagan goddess? Is it okay to see colors/”auras” as your spiritual gift even after being saved? What do we say to an childhood friend who now claims to be a gay Christian?

Dr. Brown’s Bottom Line: I think again of the words of C. T. Stud, “Only one life will soon be passed. Only what is done for Christ will last.” If your life ended right now, what would last forever?

Dr. Brown’s Bottom Line: God who made us, created us, knows our weaknesses and our failings better than us; God says, “Be holy for I am holy.”

DVD Debate with Rabbi Shmuley

PLUS

A Stealth Agenda and The Jesus Manifesto ( 2 Mini-Books)
    For Only $12,  Postage Paid!
    Call 1-800-278-9978 or order online!

Letter from a “Gay Christian”; Interview with Pastor Gabe Rogers on the North Carolina Marriage Amendment; and Thoughts on How Many Believers Have Lost Their way

What the Church Can Learn From the Gay and Lesbian Community

Top Ten Gay Marriage False “Facts” Part 1 VOR Article by Frank Turek

When one judge overturned the will of more then seven million Californians last week in Perry vs. Schwarzenegger, he listed 80 supposed “findings of fact” (FF) as evidence that Proposition 8 violates the Fourteenth Amendment of the United States Constitution. Many of those 80 findings are not facts at all. [...]

Top Ten Gay Marriage False “Facts” Part 2 VOR Article by Frank Turek

We’re in the middle of the Top Ten false “facts” reported by Judge Vaughn Walker in his decision to overturn Proposition 8 in California—a decision that could erode marriage and First Amendment rights in the entire country [...]

A Queer Thing Happened to America by Dr. Brown:  A Queer Thing Happened to America chronicles the amazing transformation of America over the last forty years, literally, from Stonewall Inn to the White House, and addresses the question head-on: Is there really a gay agenda, or is it a fiction of the religious right? Written in a lively and compelling style, but backed with massive research and extensive interaction with the GLBT community, this forthright and yet compassionate book looks at the extraordinary impact gay activism has had on American society.

Comments

15 Responses to “You’ve Got Questions, We’ve Got Answers!”

1. pam
      July 13th, 2012 @ 11:50 pm

been watching you since 2004 ,You’re a great man of God always had dreams of coming to school of fire in Charlotte .When I heard Holy Desperation , whew .I am like you and my great grandparents a pentecostal Jew ,blessings Pam .I get attacked mostly by American Jews that know my spirituality .How could you respond to messianic haters ?thanks

2. S. Johnson
      July 14th, 2012 @ 6:34 pm

Quick question. The Jehovah’s Witnesses translate Exodus 3:14 to “I shall prove to be what I shall prove to be”. This I believed to be a way of hiding the connection with the “I am” verse in John 8:58.

While most english translations translate Exodus 3:14 as “I am” (including the 1917 JPS), the new JPS translates this as “Ehyeh” which the translator notes is either “I am” or “I will be”. I don’t have Stern’s translation so I am not sure how he translates this. It seems that the new JPS translation could be used to support the JWs translation and thus sever the connection with John 8:58. I do not know how much of the New JPS translation has theological motives to avoid the “I am” translation. Which translation does your linguistic study lead you to believe is the most accurate rendering of the original meaning?

Thanks

3. S. Johnson
      July 14th, 2012 @ 6:43 pm

In light of the above, can you recommend the best Jewish translation of the OT?

4. Ray
      July 14th, 2012 @ 8:04 pm

S. Johnson, here’s something you might find of interest from the 1599 Geneva Bible:

I Cor 15:10
      But by the grace of God I am that I am; and his grace that is in me….

I suppose Christian can mean several things.

If by Christian one means that they profess belief in Jesus and/or in the teachings of Christ, one may say that they are whatever kind or type of character and still consider themself a Christian, but lets remember that there are good and bad Christians just as there may be good or bad witnesses.

Here in my dictionary it says under usage 2, [Colloq.] a decent respectable person.

Then there is “having the qualities demonstrated and taught by Jesus Christ, as love, kindness, humility, etc.”

July 14th, 2012 @ 8:04 pm

The New JPS is the best. The Stone edition is great to use to see how the traditional Jewish understanding is reflected in English translation; as for Stern’s translation, his rendering of the NT is truly seminal. For the OT, he simply used the old JPS version (1917) and made cosmetic revisions (such as Moshe for Moses) and revisions of substance, but noting in his introduction that he was not doing this work as a scholar of biblical Hebrew. As for the best rendering of Exod 3:14 — ah! That’s a massive question, but I’m at home with, “I am who I am,” or “I will be who I will be” — but there’s a mountain of discussion about this in the scholarly literature. And yes, “I am” (Ehyeh) can stand on its own.

6. Ray
      July 14th, 2012 @ 8:13 pm

Maybe poor or rich ones might be a better way to decribe two types of Christians. Or maybe better or lesser..

Many have been on the path of life only to have stopped short, and having stopped short, some have turned back toward destruction.

Can one live in the flesh and live in Christ at the same time? That’s something to think about isn’t it?

Romans 8:13 comes to mind. John 10:10 also.

7. Ray
      July 14th, 2012 @ 8:23 pm

God said “I AM WHAT I AM.” Ex 3:14.

So what is God?

Is he love and light? What else?

8. ron david metcalf
      July 14th, 2012 @ 9:40 pm

There seems to be an older Hebrew word for “existence” related to this ‘Name’ (without reviewing my research). So the Great I AM separates Life from death at the outset of Revelation to the prophet who would free GOD’s people from bondage- yet Yeshua would lead them into the Promised Land (with John the Baptist as the forerunner in the NT). Rabbis revere the prophet Moses, but don’t seem to have much respect for Joshua, the one who led them across Jordan. Maybe they are content to wander in the wilderness?
      In Him, Ron M.

9. David Roberts
      July 15th, 2012 @ 3:56 am

My favourite Jewish translation of the Tanakh is the one by R. Ravi Shahar published by Feldheim/Horev Publishing House – Jerusalem. It’s called “The Keter Crown Bible”

The English is much more faithful to the Hebrew than many translations and is good English too. And when you’re reading about place names, it will name the place then put the meaning of the place in square brackets. e.g.

“Devorah, Rivkah’s nurse, died and was buried below Bet-El, beneath the plain and he named it Alon-bachut [the Plain of Weeping].”
      Bereshit 35:8

10. S. Johnson
      July 15th, 2012 @ 9:54 am

Thanks for your expertise. Do you not think the translation “I will be who I will be” also supports Alfred North Whitehead’s panentheism involving a God who is in process, always changing and always becoming?

11. S. Johnson
      July 15th, 2012 @ 10:53 am

Let me throw one more thing out there. If the meaning in Ex. 3:14 in your opinion is debatatable, do you feel that Jesus’ claim in John 8:58 is not a deity claim, but only a claim of pre-existence?

Thanks for your time.

July 15th, 2012 @ 2:42 pm

The fact that the TRANSLATION INTO ENGLISH has nothing to do with the clarity of the statement in Hebrew, and without a doubt, as is readily confirmed by the LXX’s translation of “I am” in different places, it was a clear claim of deity in John 8:58.

Re: Whitehead, certainly not. It doesn’t speak of Him changing but acting, as in the “I will’s” that follow.

13. S. Johnson
      July 15th, 2012 @ 4:13 pm

Thanks again. Dr. Brown. After I placed my comment I began wondering if the “I Am” appeared in the LXX. I should have known that.

14. Angelica
      July 16th, 2012 @ 3:25 am

Can you talk about Kabbalah? Is is wrong? Is it magic? Is it acceptable to study and accompany us with our faith?

July 16th, 2012 @ 9:38 am

Kabbalah is esoteric Jewish mysticism. It can be studied to give insight into what some traditional Jews believe but should not be thought of as something to aid the faith of followers of Jesus.